Thursday, March 1, 2012

i know why they shoot horses

Pretty in Pink.
It always seemed inhumane to even think of shooting a horse who simply had an injured or broken leg. How awful! The horse would recover, of course he would. After all, it's just a bruise, a bump, a broken bone. It would take time, but all would be well with the world again.

Huh!

Poppy-cock!

Bullshit!

I totally understand why they shoot horses. Shoot me! Now!

OK, a simple aching foot last winter turned into a ripped-to-shreds Achilles tendon, courtesy of a spur on the rounded edge of my heel. Sounds so innocent, doesn't it?

A little Bear love.
It's true; Jersey girls don't pump gas.
After a year of pain plus a very fashionable foot brace, I took the plunge and had surgery to remove the heel spur and repair the tendon. Piece of cake, I thought. I've had c-sections, stomach surgery and even plastic surgery - what could be worse? Well, put an extra 50 pounds on my left foot, paint it pink and call me Shirley! I'm 52 for heavens sake. Fifty-two year old's don't hobble around on one foot chasing a knee walker.

Turns out, we do.

I'm three weeks in, two with mesh covering and an air cast, and one with the pink concrete block, and now, these things I know for sure:

1. If a doctor ever suggests a block of the area to be worked on, agree wholeheartedly. It's great during surgery and even greater up to three days afterwards.

2. You think you have balance, but you really don't.

3. You can sleep quite soundly with a two-foot piece of foam underneath one leg.

4. The most simple tasks are not simple anymore. You take for granted simply being able to get up from the sofa and grab a cup of coffee when you want one.

5. I have a new-found respect for the handicapped and the aged.

6. I am exhausted after visiting the toilet!

7. And most importantly, never, and, I mean never, take pain meds like the prescription bottle says - every 4 hours to relieve pain. What waits for you at the end of the road is NOT a pretty sight and you will not believe it even possible even as you are screaming through it.

So my dear horses, take care of those legs. We all know what will happen if you don't. And trust me, it will be in your best interest when you hear the cock of the gun.





No comments:

Post a Comment