Saturday, August 25, 2012

birthday bridge

Cooper in October, 2010 Photo by Ben Brian
Besse Cooper turns 116 on Sunday, August 26, 2012, and I'm honored that she has shared a tiny bit of her extraordinary life with me. She is the oldest living person on record. Amazing, don't you think.

Now, a bridge in Between is sharing her spotlight. Yes, in Georgia, we have a town called Between simply because it found itself in between Monroe and Loganville. Ah, I do love my South. Another town where its geography and setting influenced its name, much like my mountain oasis located in Possum Hollow, Georgia. Opossums, agh!

Nevertheless, as of Friday, August 24, 2012, it is the Besse Brown Cooper Bridge. It re-opens after months of repair to fanfare and frivolity. Honestly, I would be shocked if frivolity will be present in this out-of-the-way location, but a girl can hope. The piece of real estate now holds the honor of bearing the name of the oldest person in the world. A heavy burden for a whisper called Between.

Besse's children: (l to r) Angie, Nancy, and Sydney. Luther Cooper (not pictured) will
be there for the birthday party on Sunday!
It took only four minutes, thirty five seconds, for the county commissioner to commission the bridge's namesake. Three of her four children accepted the honor in her name. Grandson Paul Cooper was at Besse's side (at her residence)  hoping to provide the crown an up-to-the moment comment. However, no call came, but her previous statement said it all: "I'm glad I gave them a reason to name it."


I'm the first one over!




2 comments:

  1. I'm glad you could be there and have been able to document this event and Besse's life story. It is a wonderful tribute to a true treasure for the area. You might want to share the article in Georgia Connector on Besse.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Read her story in www.georgiaconnector.com.
    http://digipubcloud.com/publication/?i=53248&p=18

    She's a treasure.

    ReplyDelete