Thursday, June 30, 2011

"It's All About the Scooter" and other Observations

Helmet Hair and other Non-Important Things

Call me crazy, but I'm not sure which was more exciting - visiting Bermuda OR scooting down the winding roads with a helmet on my head and aqua shoes on my feet, going a brisk 35 kph. Sometimes, I even dared to move the needle to an unprecedented 45 kph, mainly on the straight-a-way near the airport. I was a speed demon which led to 'scooter wrist'. Two rules to observe always: avoid the curb and stay near the center (for some reason I'd rather hit a car than the curb) and remember, TURN LEFT.
Renting scooters is the only way to travel in Bermuda. It will set you back about two-hundred and change for a week's rental, a small amount considering distance and costly taxi fares. If you're really prepared, bring your VOX walky-talkies! We did, and it relieved Len of the need for screaming mid-road and upsetting the golfers.
I must warn you. If you're the least bit vain, reconsider scooters. In fact, reconsider Bermuda. Yes, Bermuda is pricey and jet-setters and celebrities call it home, but if your real reason for visiting is to experience the culture, history and feel like a local, leave the vanity back home in the States.

A Little Bit British

The touches of Britain are everywhere and rightly so. From driving on the 'wrong side of the road' to stepping into a red telephone box, the British influence is still strong. A mailbox sits on Queen Street in downtown Hamilton just before the entrance to the Perot Post Office.
Time for The Swizzle (Again)

The Swizzle (South Road) and The Swizzle Inn (near St. George) provide great atmosphere, excellent Rum Swizzles (by the pitcher) and killer nachos.
The Pickled Onion

Last year, we took the kids (all FIVE on OUR honeymoon) to The Pickled Onion. I fell in love with the atmosphere when my first observation were thoughts of famous thinkers, strategically placed on the rafters and walls.  I'm a quote girl, I must admit. Why reinvent the wheel when someone can find the words to declare the perfect sentiment? I won't even try.

Combine two of my favorite things - words and champagne - and I'm hooked. Thank you, Dom. Although I've never opted for the pricey bottle, I feel sure that no matter how you pour it, there's always stars involved.

Back to The Onion. Opt for a seat on the deck. Preferably during Harbor Night - each Wednesday when the streets close to the throngs of cruising visitors and crafty vendors. And don't forget dessert - cheesecake - and you'll be set for the evening.

Bermuda Shorts

I can't help but smile each time I see a man in coat and tie and Bermuda shorts  walking in the financial district or even riding home in the scooter around dusk. 
Honeymoon Cove

You'll never find this cove unless you're in the middle of Hamilton Harbor. Located on one of the many island dots in the harbor, this cove is just roomy enough for two. 
Harbour Night in Downtown Hamilton, Every Wednesday Evening


Italians and Bermuda Sun
Don't let the Italians fool you. Yes, they tan and and yes, they even burn. Spending five hours face down in pink sand will yield a burn that will eventually lead to peeling. Gross and inevitable.

No comments:

Post a Comment